4.17.2013

"Single" isn't a Dirty Word...




Ok, you know what? I’ve had it. I’m tired of all this “poor you” single crap I’m getting from everyone. Every friggin’ time I mention I’m (now) single to someone, or that I just (relatively) recently split up from my bf, I get those eyes. Or that face. Or that annoying “awwwwww… (*eyes*), I’m SO sorry”.

Really? Really?

And you know what’s worst? The ol' “Don’t worry, *Ben & I broke up a million times before we got married”.

STFU. I mean really. Have some respect.

No pat on the back for making a tough decision that was best for me, or "good for you" for being being brave - no, just judgment wrapped up as “sympathy”. Stop looking at me like that. Like I'm broken. Like it’s some kind of curse to be single. Like I just told you my dog died on the same day that I got fired.

Just because I’m single doesn’t mean I’m doomed. It doesn’t even mean that I was dumped. You’re just thinking that because really, what 28 yr old girl would willingly leave a relatively mature & steady relationship, right? She must be crazy.
Or, perfectly sane.

Maybe I realized that I’m not done flirting yet. Maybe I realized that I’d rather not have sex & fall asleep on the couch to Game of Thrones because I DON’T have a partner, rather than because I do. (burn) Maybe I realized we were miserable, and chose to do something about it now, rather than stay in it & just 'hope' things would eventually change. Maybe, just maybe, I said to myself “Hmm, there are a lot of things that I want & need to do for myself to get happy, truly happy - things that are bigger than someone else and their dreams & goals coming true”.

Did you consider that? Huh?

No, of course not. But you should. Because some of us are brave enough to go for what we want. To NOT settle, even though it’s safe. Some of us realize we’re worth more that what we’re selling for.

So stop looking at me like that , because I’m not “single”, I’m happy. (really)

post signature

2 comments:

  1. I'll give you a pat on the back.
    I too, hate how being single is considered a bad thing. Or how girls complain when they are without a boyfriend.
    Kudos to you for realizing that maybe whom you were with just wasn't the best fit! That is super brave, and a lot of ladies would rather settle than risk being single and figuring themselves out. You go, Morgan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, thanks Jodie, I appreciate the support!

      I know what you mean, it's about time girls started looking out for themselves. Girl power & all that....

      Delete